Saturday, October 23, 2010

Day 10 - Going Home

We had to get up this morning at 6 am (Yikes!) to get to the airport to catch our 9 am flight. Our cabbie drove a Mercedes Benz - nice. John said he got up to 100 miles per hour. I never felt it.

This was a wonderful trip. Both The Netherlands and Belgium were fabulous. I would come back to either of these places. I'd want to spend more time in both.

Amsterdam was about what I expected. It was beautiful with all the canals. The Anne Frank House was...I don't even know what to say. It was very moving and humbling. Amsterdam was everything I thought it would be.

There was the surprise of Delft. I hope that I have the opportunity to go and spend a little time there. When I read about Delft in the guide book, all that was mentioned was the pottery. Boring! But the reality of Delft was a lot different. It was very quaint. The town square rivaled any of the others that we'd seen. There was a lot to explore there.

Belgium was a great surprise. I didn't really know what to expect since the only Belgian I knew of was Hercule Poirot. The movie, In Bruges, gave me an idea of what to expect there but the other places were a blank page. I thought I might be bored there, quite honestly but bored I was not.

Brussels was fantastic. In retrospect, I'd have stayed closer to Grand Place since that's where all the action was. Ghent was very cool. I'd like to have spent more time there as well. The history of these places is overwhelming.

I think we could have spent the whole 10 days in either country and still probably not have seen everything.

The other cool thing was traveling by train. I don't know why but I think it's awesome. I like it way better than flying. I realize that it takes longer but it much more interesting.

While it was all wonderful and we really enjoyed ourselves, when all is said and done, there's no place like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment